History of researches
1980. Italian archaeologists Maria Bollini and Dario Giorgetti
In April 1957 Prof. Velkov, an associate in the Institute of Archaeology, was asked to come in Archar and to conduct drilling researches. The reason was a mass destruction of the Roman necropolis of Ratiaria in locality "Parlozite." In course of these first researches were cleaned some graves and sarcophagi and were collected many and varied ceramic materials and bricks with stamps. In the period 1958-1962 together with Yordanka Atanasova, a director of the Archaeological Museum in Vidin, were carried out studies which task was to clarify the direction of the western fortification wall.
In 1968 were discovered remains of certain public and private buildings and was outlined the approximate location of the western and northern wall. In this period were discovered many meters of the Ratiaria's aqueduct located in the suburban area. As a result of these first excavations, which were stopped due to the lack of funds, had been clarified the area of the city dated to 5th and 6th century AD.
In 1974 the Department of Ancient Archeology in Bulgarian Academy of Sciences determined Prof. Yanka Mladenova as leader of the archaeological researches in Ratiaria. In 1976 to the team joined Georgi Alexandrov from the Historical Museum in Montana and Gergana Kabakchieva from the Accademy of Science . In 1978 to the excavations joined a team of archaeologists from the University of Bologna - Italy, under the guidance of Prof. Donankarlo Susie. The main role in the excavation belongs to Prof. Maria Bollini and Dr. Giorgetti. After 1981 the Bulgarian team has been expanded. From Academy of Science participated: Professor Velizar Velkov, Dobrinka Naydenova, Georgi Kuzmanov, Bistra Bozhkova; from Historical Museum in Vidin - Yordanka Atanasova and Antoaneta Nikolova.
The scientific program was connected to two problems - the defense system and the urban development. The Italian archaeologists discovered remains of suburban villa with a multicolored mosaic floor from the first half of 3rd century, situated on the high bank of the river Danube. The Bulgarian team excavated the space along the western wall. They succeed to examine several towers and to clarify the chronology of the fortification.
"Ratiariensia" where are published the main results of archaeological excavations till 1991